Thursday, August 30, 2007

Retro Red and Black

Turns out, I was right about my day yesterday. I dropped CJ off at school, came home and put Boo in the tub, and next thing I know my cell phone is ringing... No one but my kids call my cell when I'm at home, it's because they can't remember our land line number, but my cell is an easy one. So I knew something was up right away. The power was out at school, and they were closing the school for the day. I ran back upstairs, yanked Boo back out of the tub, got her dressed in record time, and headed back to the school again.

I got to thinking about it though... Did they ever cancel school for power outages when you were a kid? I can remember sitting in darkened classrooms reading the chalkboard from the light coming in the windows. We never got sent home in the middle of the day unless we were puking or the building was on fire.

Yesterday, the power was out for less than an hour when they made the decision to send the kids home, and by the time I got there to pick up CJ, it was back on. They said they were sending them home anyway because they didn't want to risk it going out again...

Risk? Risk what?!?!

It was a beautiful day here yesterday, cloudy but warm. The kids weren't going to freeze because there wasn't any heat. All of the classrooms except one have windows, and that class could have easily gone to the commons room that has windows. I think the biggest risk for the school is that the teachers would have had to rely on books and chalkboards to teach the kids instead of PowerPoint presentations and videos.

It's an odd world we live in...

Anyway, on to the artsy stuff. I had someone ask for reds on the Creative Dreams blog yesterday, so I pulled out this old kit I made and dusted it off. It's the very first kit I ever tried putting together, and I posted it on ASB awhile ago, but since it's my first I'm sure you'll find things I could have done better. the papers are cool though, and that's the most important part, right?

I made the kit so that I could do this layout for my band:


So, without further ado, here it is:


This kit contains:
3 Solid Papers
6 Patterned Papers
2 Ribbons
9 Embellishments
You can download the whole kit here.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

Maria said...

Thank you! The DigiFree freebie search engine is about to list this blog post at digifree.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this great kit! Love these colors together, they alwys look crisp and current. I found my way to yur site through the DigiFree blog ... and I sure do appreciate you sharing your talent!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this kit. You are right about the school thing. As a kid you didn't go home unless you were bleeding and it had to be a lot. Now they seem to close the schools for everything.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Many thanks for sharing your awesome creations.