Thursday, May 28, 2009

What’s this?

Bright and early this morning, FedEx was at my door with a small box for me…

IMG_2612

Hmmm… whatever could it be?

IMG_2613

Are those four tiny eyes looking at me?

IMG_2615

I’ve known for awhile that I wanted to keep something other than the corns snakes. I fell in love with Rainbow Boas the first time I saw a picture of one, but any time I saw one up for sale I had to admit that they were just too darn expensive for me.

Until earlier this week when I stumbled across an ad on Fauna listing a pair of them for less than I’ve ever seen a single one sold for. These were the last of the breeder’s ‘08’s, and they were priced to move!

So they got here this morning, a little chilly but still looking very perky and beautiful!

IMG_2616

Here’s the female when I first took her out of her deli cup. She was being shy and hiding her head from me.

IMG_2617

There’s a peek at the face. Once she warmed up she started sniffing around and checking me out. Be sure to click on those pics for the full sized photos so you can see why they’re called Rainbow Boas.

IMG_2619

Once she got into her new vivarium she took a nice long drink and then curled up in her warm hide box.

IMG_2620

The male was last out of the box, and right away he appeared to be more outgoing.

IMG_2623

He immediately started crawling up my arm, smelling the room, and posing pretty for the camera.

IMG_2624

Is he a ham or what?

I have to tell you, the pictures do not do these guys justice. They are so shiny, and the light refracts off them in a beautiful iridescent rainbow. They’re also smooth as silk. I can’t wait to get them settled in so I can start handling them regularly. I can tell they’re going to be a lot of fun to take care of.

I swear, this is it for the new acquisitions for awhile! lol Kauket is developing egg follicles, and since she’s big enough, Chad is loaning me a male that he didn’t use for breeding this year to see if she wants to be a mommy. If she lays a clutch, I’ll be too busy taking care of them to want anything new for several months. :D

Hugs,

2 comments:

senovia said...

woman!! You're going to own a zoo before too long! They are gorgeous though! I had no idea you could Fed Ex snakes!

John said...

Chad wants one
LOL