Monday, January 19, 2009

Amaunet

 

I’m in shock… Someone actually reads my blog!  lol

I had a request for an update on Amaunet, my snake rescue.  I was sitting here waiting for my kids to get out of school so that we can head down to Chicago and meet up with John and Tiana at Shriners.  I was thinking about blogging a whiny ‘poor me’ post because I have too much time to think on my hands right now, but blogging about the snake would be much better.

Amaunet is doing really well.  She’s been with us for about three weeks now, and shows no signs of any illness.  We’ll keep her in quarantine for about three months, just to be on the safe side, but so far all looks well.

Last week I weighed all of the snakes to check that they were being fed the correct amount and was shocked to see that my baby Kauket had reached the 200g mark.  That means she’s ready for small adult mice, and will be able to have babies soon.  Chad even asked if I wanted to breed her this year because she’s ready, but I decided I wanted to wait and do some research first so I would have a better handle on what I was doing.  Kek weighed in at 20g, which is exactly where he’s supposed to be, and Amaunet came in low (of course) at 190g.

Amaunet is a year older than Kauket and about nine inches longer, so she should be my heaviest snake.  She’s still catching up to healthy though.

Let me just state for the record here…  She eats like a fiend!  The first time I fed her she had a pitiful, weak strike; not anymore!  As soon as she scents the mouse she goes really still, and then quicker than you can blink she grabs it and starts munching down.  Not only that, she would stuff herself until she exploded if I let her.  Last night she had her first adult mouse in my care, and even though she was obviously quite full, she was still looking for more.  It’s hard to resist her liquid brown eyes staring up at me, but I’m a mean mommy and won’t risk her puking a mouse back up.  ICK!

She’s in blue right now (her eyes are clouded over and have a blue appearance), which means she’s going to shed in the next few days.  Once she does I’ll take some pictures of her in her shiny new skin and post them so you can see for yourself how she’s doing.  She’s still way too skinny, but she’s getting there.  I can’t wait until she fattens up and her outside matches her fantastic personality.

So there’s your update, and here’s a little video I sent to our parents of Jenna with Amaunet.  Jenna is completely in love with her, and they’re best friends now.  :D

Hugs,

No comments: